Friday, April 22, 2011

More Technique


     So I actually received some emails after my post on Aperture. I guess that is something people want to read about.  So here we go. Today I am going to talk about ISO, also referred to as film speed. Which if your shooting a digital camera it obviously has no film, but it goes back to the old way that things were labeled. I know most folks my age have never even picked up a film camera. I actually own a Mamiya M645 which is probably about 10 years older than me. The film that I shoot in it was actually made in Oktober of 1980, that is the correct spelling, it was made in Europe. It is two years older than me.
     ISO on a digital camera is essentially the operators way to set how sensitive the digital sensor in the camera is. The higher the number, the more sensitive the sensor is to light. However, the higher the number, the more noise you get in the image. So the object of taking pictures is to keep your ISO as low as you can. So always start at the lowest setting and work your way up until you get what you need. Stay as low as you can to keep the quality the best it can be. Generally most cameras look the same at low ISO's because they all perform well when there is plenty of light. The more expensive cameras like the Full frame D700 and Canon 5D, will work much better in low light than the others. That is where the price difference comes in. Anyone can shoot amazing pictures with plenty of light, when it gets darker, the pro's make it happen. Most digital cameras shouldn't be shot over 800 ISO to keep your images clean of noise. The newer D7000 I know has excellent noise capabilities. A lot of the newer cameras that are coming out now have been greatly improved and should have considerable reduced noise.
     On a happier note, if I can get to 500 likes on Facebook I will be giving away a Free portrait session ($150 value).

No comments:

Post a Comment